Saturday, March 22, 2008

Juday: An Indie Film Actress? Really?

For most of the Filipino culture vultures, "Art" includes stage theater, concertos in full regalia, Miss Saigon, Fernando Amorsolo, even "Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros"... Why then, did it still surprise me that for some people, Judy Ann Santos still hasn't moved out of the shadow of her awkward, jologs, past?

Maybe they didn't realize that Judy Ann Santos was capable of acting in such films as Aishite Imasu (Mahal kita), Sabel, and even Magkapatid, alongside Sharon Cuneta.

Okay, I have to admit that I wasn't able to watch these movies, but I do know that these were critically acclaimed. My only "proof" that Juday is a superb actress, would be my experiences of watching her in telenovelas. I can only recall having watched Mara Clara, and even then, as a green, adolescent actress, she was able to excellently flesh out the role of an oppressed heiress exchanged with the offspring of a crook.

For most, they would say that it's easy to play the role of the downtrodden. For me, I believe that it takes talent to shed tears at the drop of a hat.

So what does this all mean, related to Ploning the Movie?

Only this: Because I know that Judy Ann Santos, Juday, is a VERY capable, even excellent, actress, I personally am looking forward to watching it!

No comments: